BridgeView IT is seeking an Embedded Software Engineer located in Lakewood, CO.
BridgeView IT is seeking an Embedded Engineer for a contract opportunity in Lakewood, CO. Under general direction, participates as high-level technical expert in design development, coding, testing, and debugging new software or significant enhancements to existing software for third party customers, project leads, and management. Works with technical staff to understand problems with software and develops specifications to resolve them. Develops and/or provides technical leadership in the development of software involving application of new technologies with significant technical risk.
- Act as high-level technical expert, addressing problems of systems integration, compatibility, and multiple platforms - middleware and back-end development
- Designs, develops, operates and maintains software and firmware components and computing systems software to apply to, and integrate with engineering, scientific and manufacturing requirements.
- Apply the appropriate standards, processes, procedures and tools throughout the system development life cycle to support the generation of such engineering applications and products.
- Independently design and develop new software products or major enhancements to existing software for third party customers.
- Provides functional and empirical analysis related to the design, development, and implementation of software operating systems, including, but not limited to, utility software, development software, and diagnostic software.
- Perform feasibility analysis on potential future projects to management.
- Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software.
- Resolves customer complaints and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements from third party customers.
- Determines computer user needs; analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems.
- Participate in the development of software user manuals.
- Participate in the development of test strategies, devices, and systems. Advances new techniques or advances the state-of-the-art.
- Represent the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects. Interact with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Exercise considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment.
- Establishes program goals and defines plans and cost/schedule requirement.
- Prepare detailed plans, which may span over a year for programs or complex projects.
- Operate with substantial latitude for un-reviewed action or decision. Reviews progress with management.
- Act as team leader on less complex projects.
- Strong C++ and embedded skills are required and must be documented on resume.
- OO software architecture skills required and must be documented on resume.
- Formal design process experience required.
- Candidate should have either embedded RTOS (VxWorks preferred) or strong Unix experience in a multi-threaded environment or experience working in an environment to connect a new front-end to different devices – with the focus here is middleware and back-end development .
- Knowledge typically gained through a minimum of 8 years of experience. Must have experience with mission critical applications, preferably medical products or devices. Knowledge of regulatory requirements preferred (e.g., FDA, DOD).
- Knowledge required to perform at this level is acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in the area of Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
- All candidates are required to submit proof of C++ proficiency by web-based testing.
- Our products embedded software is of medium or higher complexity. The software framework is object oriented, uses multiple layers of inheritance, relies on many advanced features in C++, uses state machines, inter/intra process message queuing, sockets, and shared memory. Therefore, embedded experience is helpful as foundational experience but strength in software architecture and C++ is more important than low-level device skills.
- The candidate will be adding new features and enhancements to one of our existing product lines so it will require developing a strong understanding of the existing device through a study of documentation, experimentation with the current system, and consulting with peer engineering staff.
- The skill of thorough and patient testing is also important, as performing a 'run' will take about 30 - 90 minutes to complete. Debugging is mostly done through log file analysis (no debugger).
- The candidate will be required to work with peer developers, SQA, Systems, Scientific, Clinical, and Customer support groups.
- Our devices process blood so the candidate should not be sensitive to the sight or discussion of blood or needles.
BridgeView IT is a technology placement firm assisting a national network of clients identify and hire the highest-caliber IT professionals. Our management and senior recruiting specialists have successfully supported the IT marketplace for over a decade, and we have grown into a world class organization, with operations in major U.S. markets.
BridgeView IT is an equal opportunity employer. To proactively receive new job alerts from BridgeView IT, sign up at bridgeviewit.com/jobalerts.